CYS has been involved in the seismic evaluation and design of retrofits for buildings and other structures throughout our history.
We have extensive experience and knowledge in evaluation and design techniques including:
- The University of California and California State University Seismic Safety Policy.
- California Hospitals governed by OSHPD through the SB1950, SB499 and SB90 seismic evaluation procedures.
- Assessment and retrofit of California State-Owned buildings as required by California Building Code Chapter 34 and the State Seismic Survey program.
- Development of the Certification of Applicable Code and Seismic Independent Review Report as required by the California Department of General Services Real Estate Services Division (DGS RESD) for leasing property to the State.
- Voluntary Seismic Improvements of commercial and historic buildings.
- Performance-based evaluation and rehabilitation using ASCE/SEI 31 Seismic Evaluation of Existing Buildings and ASC/SEI 41 Seismic Rehabilitation of Existing Buildings and the predecessor standards FEMA 273, FEMA 274 and FEMA 356.
CYS engineers are directly involved in ongoing research and information sharing concerning knowledge gained from recent major seismic events. Our engineers are also very active in structural engineering organizatins, committees and educational programs and have been active on several SEAOC State Committees involved in the development of the next generation of design guidelines and codes. CYS engineers have participated as chair of the 2010-2011 Structural Engineers Association of California (SEAOC) Existing Buildings Committee and co-authors of the SEAOC Commentary on Chapter 34-Existing Structures of the 2010 California Building Code.